Heel pain sucks! That much is obvious. It stops you from playing your favourite sport, going for your weekend walks and wearing your favourite shoes.
The team at PoshPod are experts in this problem and we take great satisfaction in helping you get back to your pain-free best!
Getting over your heel pain, is unfortunately, not as easy as healing other parts of the body. This is because we need to keep moving. If we can’t rest our feet, how can we expect things to get better?
The answer is, we usually can’t. Like anything, resolving your heel pain requires a little bit of patience, and a little bit of work to get back to our best. Firstly, let’s talk specifics.
WHAT IS CAUSING MY HEEL PAIN?
There are a number of reasons that you may have heel pain, for simplicity’s sake, we will boil it down to two main things.
- Chronic Pain/ Overuse injury – Occurring, unsurprisingly, when you overuse a certain part of your body. Maybe you have started running, hiking, or learning a new sport and slowly (or suddenly!). This is your body fighting back and telling you that you might have overdone it.
- Accident/Injury – You fell from a great height, or twisted your ankle and now you have a pain in your foot.
Despite the cause, PoshPod will take you through a thorough Biomechanical assessment. This typically consists of us taking:
- A Thorough history – asking questions lots of questions about you!
- Treadmill gait analysis – Using state-of-the-art Zebris force plate technology, we record you walking, capturing data that will help us diagnose your condition.
- Assessment of the injured area – With manual testing, and palpation of painful areas, we will discover why your feet are hurting.
- Assessment of your shoes – If your shoes are worn out, ill-fitting or unsupportive, this will contribute to your pain.
WHAT ARE MY TREATMENT OPTIONS?
Treatment can take many forms, some of the most common ones we use are:
- Stretching programmes
- Footwear assessments
- Dry needling
- Manual therapy techniques
- Shockwave therapy
That last one, shockwave, is an incredibly useful technique that we offer at PoshPod.
Shockwave Therapy is a machine that houses a piston, moving up and down to generate a radial sound wave that penetrates the injured tissue and helps to improve your heel pain in a number of ways.
- It is non-invasive – you will be up on your feet immediately after your procedure, often with a feeling of pain relief after treatment.
- Shockwave stimulates collagen and blood vessel production, improving healing potential by increasing available oxygen and nutrients.
PoshPod has been utilising Shockwave therapy as a treatment option for many conditions. Especially when traditional treatment options aren’t giving us the required result. Shockwave Therapy is prescribed whilst you are in the chair- making it simple and cost effective.
Find out more about Shockwave here!
Stop googling “how to cure plantar fasciitis” and get some advice from the experts, come and see one of the team at PoshPod. We will help get you back to your pain free best!
Words from one of our podiatrists,